BIG National Programs and Services
BIG has a number of Programs that directly or indirectly promote the status of our member in the federal workplace. Click on the links below and learn more.
- ATTORNEY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM: This program helps members to exercise their rights guaranteed to them as government employees pursuant to law.
- COMPLAINT ADVISORS AND ASSISTANCE PROGRAM: This program trains BIG members to help other members and potential members fight discrimination in the workplace. Specifically, members are trained to advise and counsel government workers on how to win their EEO cases under CFR 29, Section 1614, which is the federal government's primary vehicle for resolving discrimination complaints.
- DARLENE YOUNG LEADERSHIP ACADEMY (DYLA): This program is a developmental program designed to develop future public service leaders through providing assessment, experiential learning and individual development activities and opportunities.
- DISCRIMINATION AWARENESS PROGRAM (BIG-DAP) Objective: This program allows members to discuss charges of adverse, disparate and inappropriate treatment toward them as minorities in the workplace. It also provides documentary evidence of adverse impact and disparate treatment in the workplace.
- LEGAL REVIEW PROGRAM Objective: This program furthers the National Organization of BIG’s historic goals including the promotion of the well-being, education, and professional development of Blacks in government service.
- MONETARY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (MAP): To help chapters conduct meaningful programs in support of BIG’s objectives, BIG provides financial help when requested through MAP. In this way, BIG is assured of a consistently high-quality level of activity in support of its goals nationwide.
- NATIONAL TRAINING INSTITUTE (NTI): BIG’s National Training Institute (NTI) provides training that will enlighten civil servants about the issues that affect the public they serve. At the same time, the training supports professional development and selfimprovement that can lead to career advancement and upward mobility. Participants learn how to deal with common workplace problems creatively and with minimum risk
- NOW GENERATION: To focus programming for young professionals of BIG under the age of 40 looking to enhance their success and become leaders in the workplace.
- OFFICER LEADERSHIP TRAINING (OLT): The Officer Leadership Training (OLT) objectives are to: (1) help members to maximize their potential and reach their professional and personal goals; (2) increase members' understanding of the organizational structure and functions of BIG; (3) provide members with the tools and techniques needed to better serve BIG members and our constituents; (4) increase members' awareness of the services and programs offered by BIG; and (5) increase members' ability to motivate others to join BIG.
- SCHOLARSHIPS TO ACQUIRE CAREER KEYS (STACK) PROGRAM: The STACK Program provides BIG members an opportunity to jump-start their careers with additional education and training, and thus become more competitive for promotions and career advancement. The program underwrites specific training expenses associated with a specific government job or promotional opportunity.